Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: products that you have liked/ disliked  (Read 11536 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: products that you have liked/ disliked
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »
Likely the holes in your sneakers jetzcorp are from dragging your feet to stop your maico ;D ;)

As for me,the worst:

Without a doubt, the Michelin M12 rear tire.While acceptable in deep mud,it has no accel grip,braking grip of side grip anywhere else.Absolutely positively,the worst tire I've ever had the misfortune to ride on-including bald ones of any other brand.
Having said that,I like the M12 front,especially when matched with my favorite rear.....

The S12 Michelin,a great tire in it's element and crosses over well to hardpack too.The S12 front isn't bad either but not as good as the M12 front in most condition imo.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »
First, I don't even own a Maico, I just have to ride my dads' Maicos until I can get money for one to park next to my Husky.  Besides, his Maicos have the sort of brakes my Husky wishes it had.

And as for the sneakers thing, you might recall:
Quote from: Me
I swore to never even approach a bike without wearing boots.

The two occasions I described were the only two times in my entire life that I'd ridden a bike without boots, except for one-minute warm-up rides to make sure the engine is functioning after nine months of sitting in the garage.  Boots, Helmet, and Gloves are my trinity of riding gear.  T-Shirt and cargo pants are standard August riding wear.  I only actually fall off a bike about once every two years, but I'm still going to get some more riding armor when I have the chance.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 11:03:20 PM »
Fasst Flex bars are great and easy on the rider & I also love the Sidewinder Ti Moly sprockets,I'm starting to beleive they last forever and also Wiseco's clutch kits are great! PS Hey 2Stroker I would'nt mind seeing a pic of your girlfreind in those FOX socks either!LOLLOL JUST JOKING Don't get your panties in an uproar.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 08:41:35 AM »
The Bieffe gear was horrible. I once bought a pair of Bieffe boots and won another pair at a race, I didn't get six months riding out of the 2 pairs, and I was riding down a trail when the chin strap fell off my Bieffe helmet! The mild steel D rings had rusted thru in no time.

I also don't like Michelin tires, I've tried everything on the market but keep coming back to Dunlops, Pirellis and Metzlers.

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
Factory Connection suspension, V-Force 3 Reeds, Pro-Taper bars, Gaerne boots, Yamalube 2R pre-mix, Shoei V-Moto helmets, & FMF pipes (Gnarly & Fatty) are all A+ - I would recommend them to everyone!!

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 01:14:29 PM »
The Bieffe gear was horrible. I once bought a pair of Bieffe boots and won another pair at a race, I didn't get six months riding out of the 2 pairs, and I was riding down a trail when the chin strap fell off my Bieffe helmet! The mild steel D rings had rusted thru in no time.

I also don't like Michelin tires, I've tried everything on the market but keep coming back to Dunlops, Pirellis and Metzlers.

Have you tried the S12's? I don't like the starcross series and though I've tried many,Metzler or Pirelli haven't been favorites.I always like the D739f and for true hardpack the rear-otherwise,the 756 is my second favorite tire though I find it deteriorates a fair bit whe the edged wear.

As for bieffe boots,a bought a set on sale for 200 once and come to find out,got royally screwed ;DWhat a pos.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »
  I only actually fall off a bike about once every two years

I think I'd get more gear before a new bike.Personally,I don't like it but wear it anyway-gladly.I flipped over bars last year over a jump I'd been over (conservative estimate)at least 300-400 times over the years-and still don't remember what happened but suspect the front tire washed on a rock on the landing.I escaped with just a busted finger and an ambulance ride for a ct scan as I was unconscious.I've also sheared of a crf fork guard with my boot as his spokes ground away at said boot(yay Alpinestars),had a stick spear me in the chest at about 30mph and throw me off the bike(yay chest protector)high sided and landed knee first on a granite(yay knee guards)landed on both elbows numerous times...you get the idea.Now that I think about it,this sh!t's dangerous.Wanna buy my bike Jetzcorp?Comes with complete gear.I think I'll take up golf ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
Why would jetz want your bike ?
It has suspension that works.
It has brakes.
And one of the best motors ever made.

Has it got one of those strange power valve thingy's ?

I am going to fire up my old TS125 now.
Ohhhhhh the good old day's
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 01:51:34 PM »
Ford382, you kill me!!! lol

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 03:39:42 PM »
Just trying to be helpful guys. :)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »
I forget which Michelins I tried but I so disliked them it really put me off the brand.The 756 has a very nice feel. Sidi makes excellent boots, same goes for Shoei helmets, you can't go cheap head or footwear.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 08:36:53 PM »
I'll gladly take your bike.  I'd be able to sell it to someone else and maybe make enough money for a '78 Maico 440.  And as far as "suspension that works," I've never hit anything on my Husky that made me want better suspension.  Unless you come across a roadkilled steer or something at eighty, you're golden with the in-house forks and twin Ohlins.  I'm sure on a motocross track there would be a lot more modification that needs doing, but for desert roads I have no complaints with old suspensions, just so long as it's long-travel.  If you want a scary ride, my friends, try 4" in the back.  In spite of the danger though, you'll have more fun than you've ever had in your life, especially when you realize that you can slide the thing like Mert Lawwill if you've got the balls.  Just don't take any jumps, whatever you do!

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 08:43:44 PM »
The earlier Michelin Starcross was like butter on anything other than deep mud.
I tore the knobs off one in only 1 ride.
Was quite rocky, but still!!!!!!!!!
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 04:09:32 PM »
  If you want a scary ride, my friends, try 4" in the back. 

I'm not even sure what that means. :o :-X

On another note,are most of your rides on smooth road type trails?If so I can finally understand your preference.The YZ isn't much of a road bike for sure.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 04:24:12 PM »
By 4" in the back, I'm talking about suspension travel.  This is riding, not State Prison.

Anyway, the sort of riding we do varies.  There are a lot of smooth gravel roads, where short-travel works fine, but there's also sections where it gets very rough and rocky, and some where there's whoops, and some that's just plain chowdered from trucks driving around in the winter slime.  The best combination for it all is a relatively soft set-up with long travel (basically anything 1977 and newer) so that it can absorb the bumps and such.  A stiff suspension set up for modern motocross-type jumps would be a bit harsh for this kind of riding, so it's convenient that older bikes were made with a bias toward rough terrain rather than jumpy terrain.  I hear modern Japanese motocrossers tend to be twitchy, too, which would really suck a lot of the time.  Even on a Husky, which has forks set up like Peter Fonda's Harley, can feel a little unstable in a rut.  Of course that's where the... uh... "M---o Magic" comes in.

Do you feel lucky, punk?