Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Project Two 50 Updates...  (Read 8969 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Project Two 50 Updates...
« on: March 28, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »
First up, a new video... this one shot and edited by David Brown, Amazing!

Project 250 Motocross

A few sponsors have agreed to help out with Project Two 50.

Falicon Crankshafts - will be building our crank, they have been in the crank business for 31 years and are the ones responsible for many of the factory motorcycle efforts in all disciplines of racing. These guys are hardcore!

http://www.faliconcranks.com/

If you guys have a need for crank work on your machine, please consider Falicon, and tell them that Project Two 50 sent you!

Next up is a company that really needs no introduction to most folks involved with motocross for any length of time, FMF Racing!

Whoo Hoo!!

This is hot off the presses and the details have not been ironed out yet, but FMF has agreed to help.

http://www.fmfracing.com/

We are making some headway and just wanted to keep you guys up to date.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Project Two 50 Updates...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:49:36 PM »
John,that is excellent news.Seems thing are moving along nicely.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 09:20:12 PM »
JOhnnnnnnnn! You made my day! Best project ever! Totally dig the white 2!
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:08:44 AM »
I still think the whole enterprise would be a lot more impressive if it were done on an '83 Maico.  Obviously it would be far less practical than the modern YZ (especially with homologation, LOL!), but performance-wise the '83 was an animal, and can you IMAGINE the attention that we'd get if someone got, say, 15th at a major racing event on an old European air-cooled bike that 95% of the riders had never heard of?  It'd be like showing up in the pits at a NASCAR race with a '69 Charger Daytona.

A man can dream, but it would be relatively easy without homologation rules.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:24:43 AM »
Thanks for the kudos guys! It means a lot!

JETZcorp... I know that you mean well... I agree that the old Maico's were awesome for that time... but they are just not up to  snuff for Pro Racing. In so many ways! I know you don't like watercooling, but the old air-cooled bikes faded after 15 minutes and lost lots of power.

Maico were never well known for their brakes either, even at the time, they were considered the worst. Many people don't know this, but to go fast you need strong. powerful, fade resistant brakes... the old Maico brakes would fade if you sweat near them! LOL

Of course it's not just the homologation rules, but there is also a rule that the bikes can only be 5 or 6 years old.

There are tons of vintage races all over the country that these machines clean up on, but they would not be competitive at the Pro level. Sorry..

Life is short.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »
Whoever said you have to keep the stock brakes?  Don't we have a story on this very site of a guy running a disc-brake 490?  Doesn't that story also mention that he thought the old bike handled better than a new one?  I'm not going to try and argue that an old Maico is better across the board, but I think it's altogether too easy to think that bikes intrinsically get better as the years go by.

As for air-cooling, yes I'll admit it flat-out doesn't work as well.  The last air-cooled KX125, which had practically no cooling fins at all to speak of (because half an ounce of weight was just that important, apparently), lost 20% of its power throughout the day, compared to a 9% reduction by water-pumping competitors.  I don't have any data on how well a bike with sane air-cooling kept its power.  Who knows.

I do think that if we ever get around to creating our own series to contest the AMA monopoly, we should get rid of the age restriction.  I mean, the only reason that could possibly be in there is to keep some unbelievable pro from coming in with some "old turd" and laying the hammer down on the showroom material.  If an old bike won't be competitive, let the riders try and learn the hard way.  If by some chance it IS competitive, let the manufacturers sweat it out in the engineering software.  A little innovation would be good for 'em.

Yay, my Monday rant is complete!

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »
What exactly is project two 50? is it a rider on a 250 2 stroke racing in the pro nationals this year? and who is the rider? i think this is an awesome idea, i'd just like to know a little more about it. after doing some research and switching back to a 2 stroke myself i can't see why anyone would think 4 strokes are better.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
Hi Kawi250 - welcome to the forum!

Project Two 50 is just as you thought a 250cc two-stroke competing against 450 four-strokes in the AMA Pro Nationals. The racer's name is Mike Leavitt, who besides being a very fast racer is a great guy to talk to about motocross. If you like you can read more about it on the web site www.projecttwo50.com

Okay JETZcorp I understand now... you do have some points... personally I think that the production rule really hurt the industry as a whole. But that's just me!
Life is short.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:13:26 PM »
If you want to go C2H6O2 Cooling, you can always bump up to a 84-86 MStar/Maico 250, essentially same thing as the 83 engine.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:55:20 PM »
There's a 1983 Maico 490 for sale.

Seattle - 1983 Maico 490 For Sale
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 07:26:08 AM »
wow i'm really into this project! and i've got a few more questions if anyone can help me out. It says he's from the north east, does anyone know exactly where? im from mass and would love to ride an indoor complex like the one featured in a video on the site. I've heard of one in bellingham mass but anyways yea wheres he from?

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 08:35:48 AM »
I believe that is Mototown in Conneticut.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »
Hey Kawi250, Mike Leavitt and I are from New York. We were tired of the hype surrounding the four-stroke and decided to jump on board this project.

Please feel free to ask questions here or you can PM me directly. Or use the contact form on the main TSM site (www.twostrokemotocross.com) and the Project Two 50 (www.projecttwo50.com)

The track is at MotoTown in Connecticut, this link will get you the address,
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/connecticut_11419/ride_f4af.htm
Life is short.

Offline SubTexel

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »

LOL @ the ads... Very similar to how people keep going on about the 490 on here...

Quick question, why is everyone all over the Maico 490's nuts on this forum? It seems every other post goes on about the Maico 490 and how it's the end all be all and should be racing 450s, etc... It's a 26+ year old bike with suspension more akin to that found on wooden wagons used in the old west.

I'm far more interested in their NEW offerings, and far less interested in seeing the Maico 490 thrown into every thread just to add noise... JMHO.

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 01:50:37 PM »

LOL @ the ads... Very similar to how people keep going on about the 490 on here...

Quick question, why is everyone all over the Maico 490's nuts on this forum? It seems every other post goes on about the Maico 490 and how it's the end all be all and should be racing 450s, etc... It's a 26+ year old bike with suspension more akin to that found on wooden wagons used in the old west.

I'm far more interested in their NEW offerings, and far less interested in seeing the Maico 490 thrown into every thread just to add noise... JMHO.

i tend to agree with you and i have a '81 490. no offence to Jetzcorp as his love for old bikes runs deep but vintage bikes are generally best remembered fondly than actually ridden after being on modern stuff.