Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Holeshot tips?  (Read 8963 times)

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
Holeshot tips?
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:09:29 PM »
I'm gonna need some pro help here... I'm not very good at starts. What's proper technique?
its a dirt pad start...
My main problem is that I can't hear my bike over the 250f's. I have to feel it to know where my rpm's are.
also...
Do I hold the throttle mostly open and use the clutch to control drive?
Or do I hold it halfway then when the gate drops hammer the throttle and feather the clutch?
Where is the best place to sit? I'm about 125 lbs. The bike is a 125.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: Holeshot tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:58:11 AM »
Well,I'm no pro and I've never got the holeshot but,they say about half throttle and just a couple seconds before the gate drops,let the clutch out just so the bike wants to creep fairly hard and hold it with your front brake.when it drops,release the brake and feather your clutch to control drive.
I know the more you practice your starts the easier it becomes.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:33:03 AM »
When our ancestors roamed the African savannah big,ugly and mean creatures were out to make a lunch of us.Yes,we were the hunted and to this day we retain remnants of this past and it remains in our vision.We respond much more quickly to changes in our peripheral vision then if we were staring right at it.For example,if you are in drag racing,stare straight ahead down the track and watch the start light "out of the corner of your eye",you will get a much better start.In street drags I have demonstrated this phenomenon to friends and can honestly say I have never been beaten,matched but never beaten (just watch out for drivers running red lights).

When I raced motocross or offroad I have always positioned myself one third over from the inside corner on the start line,I've observed that generally the first few guys always seem to come from this area. ;D

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 07:54:52 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/BlakeWhartonMX#p/u/3/g0doOlCLDo4

Also on the start with your gate selection the start line is usually a v type bottle neck where it comes together I was riding with wil hahn once and he said that he always lines himself up with the first turn as its always the shortest distance hence getting holeshots! You shouldnt ever just dump the clutch.

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
Sachs  you are dead on with the peripheral reaction statement.  to add to that, don't look at the gate in front of you.  look down the line from you.  looking at a distance doesnt give you any time, but it gives you the perception of reponse time.  we use this for teaching purposes. i started looking 3-4 gates away from myself (usually toward the center) and my starts immediately improved.
once the gate drops look out to the point you want to turn at. then concentrate on getting there as fast as you can.
guess i should add i'm not a pro.  just what has worked for me.....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 06:44:29 PM by Dirt Addict »

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »
Ford, thats what I was thinking except for the front brake part. Compressing the forks then hammering the throttle will cause me to loop out.

Sachs, I've heard that too. I've never tried it but I will tomorrow.

Ktm, blake wharton rides a four stroke... Doesn't help me. Plus he didnt say anything that I didnt already know haha.

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
I hold the front brake and burn the clutch holding about 3/4 throttle. When the pin moves release front brake and go full throttle and get the clutch out as soon as possable without doing a wheelie. After clearing the gate click up a gear and scoot back for traction. 

Ive got alot of holeshots by being the most agressive in the first turn rather than being the first off the gate, hold your line and dont let off.

2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:22:41 AM »
Ford, thats what I was thinking except for the front brake part. Compressing the forks then hammering the throttle will cause me to loop out.

Sachs, I've heard that too. I've never tried it but I will tomorrow.

Ktm, blake wharton rides a four stroke... Doesn't help me. Plus he didnt say anything that I didnt already know haha.

Nope,I never said to hammer the throttle-use your clutch to control drive.
Though never getting the holeshot, I remember having a couple nerved up young guys on either side one time.As we were waiting,they asked if I was nervous.I said no,I'm old and people expect me to suck,you guys,on the other hand,are young and people expect you to do well,otherwise there must be something wrong with you.One looked down said nothing,the other said- Oh man,I think I'm gonna puke.
At the start,one jumped the gate and the other looped out.Hahaahaha...psychology baby-oh yeah. ;D

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 04:40:33 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys! Guess who got a holeshot todayy?

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 05:26:57 AM »
Sweet. :)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 06:01:41 AM »
A little tip I learned from an old guy, well older than me, for dead engine starts. while at the line warming the motor, pull in the clutch and put the bike in second rev it up a bit. and kill the motor without letting go of the clutch, when it's time to kick it for the start there will be plenty of oil between the clutch plates to start the bike effortlessly and go go go
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:49:01 AM »

Excellent 8) How did you do in the race?

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »
MyckMcClung

its hard to start a 2 stoke ?

or i didn't understant you?

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »

Excellent 8) How did you do in the race?

250C: I was doing good till I fell and ripped my grips open and broke my throttle tube, causing the throttle to stick a little. I got 10th
Schoolboy: I was 3rd but crashed on the last lap with a flat. (must have overjumped something pretty hard)

Just gotta look forward to March 6th my next race :D

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 01:33:28 PM »
It definitely depends on the bike and your weight.  The key is to get off the gate straight and without spinning the rear tire too much.  I was never more than a front of the pack C rider, but did pull 8 holeshots in a row in 1985 on a 2 year old stock 125.  1/3 to 1/2 throttle, smoothly let out the clutch, it should not be completely released until wide open in 3rd gear.  On a 250, no more than 1/3 throttle waiting for the gate drop.  In the C class it is easy to holeshot over 450 riders if you have the correct technique.  I am a pretty timid rider on the track when it comes to jumps, I should move to drag racing!!!  Another tip is if you don't have a full gate, try to pick a spot with no one on either side of you, hard to do in the 125 C class though!!!