Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The Ultimate Mini, The Fastest Pit Bike, or Tim The Toolman's CR250mini....  (Read 9643 times)

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
Ok, I lied. My next project started today.  I had a 1996 CR250 roller here, because of needing that motor.  I have a 2001'sh KX250 motor just sitting there for a year.  Hmmm,  LOL

Update on the mini.  Put the swingarm on last night.  Going good.
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
What are you going to do for suspension?

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
What are you going to do for suspension?

Are you speaking of the mini?  The mini is basically being set up for the parts I know need to be changed.  Then, I purchase a CRF150R, swap everything except the frame, swingarm, obviously the motor. Then I have parts left over, to sell on ebay or build another if this would sell or something.  The motor for the CRF150R should bring between $1200-1400.  I think I can get a bike for $1900-2000, so roughly $ 700ish in the roller, $300ish in the motor I guess.  So for $1,000 total invested when all said and done.   
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
What's failing on the CRF150 motor?

400cc two strokes are the best,love my 380 Maico. ;D

The 550 KTM is a far better motor then the 440 version, the 440 actually lacks some bottom end while the 550 is both very smooth and very fast.I'd use the 550 motor for AF conversions over the Honda anyday (the right hand final drive would complicate things).The 550 doesn't have a counter balancer but vibration isn't a problem.

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
what's failing on CRF150R motors?  My guess is the normal fart problems. Valves, cranks etc. The motors go for almost equal as a CRF250R motor on ebay.  That is crazy, when the cost of a new bike is as low as it is. $3k?  It's because everyone is shelling them and instead of rebuilding, it's cheaper to buy another.  When I buy one, I will be looking for a running, low hour bike, that way the motor will go for the most, plus I want a low hour chassis.  The frame I am currently modding was an ebay purchase of frame, swingarm and radiators.  Those are the only mods i will need, thus, waiting to buy the whole bike to swap later.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:07:13 AM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
Radiators have arrived. Look good.
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
It's really depressing having to cut and grind on perfect new radiators.  :(  Big motors seem to get in the way...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:57:05 PM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Hey miedosoracing I'm not trying to be a wiseazzz  (OK maybe a little)  but I'm thinking thats a lot of engine for a little package.  I would have thought a 125 would have been the power plant of choice not a 250.  Just curious as to why you chose the 250cc engine.  Of course I'd love to be on of the test riders when its finished...   8)

Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
Not sure if you knew it, but I already made one of those. Sure it was pretty fun, took it too the track and rode it.  But it still didn't beat the CR500AF feeling, of almost unrideable.  That is what I love, so that is why I'm building this. The CR500AF, I could have left stock and/or even modded it to be more rideable, but I like the rush I get.  I made it a fire breathing monster.  I have someone ask me almost every time I go to the track with it, why not just buy a CRF450?  I'm like first, this bike will kick the living crap out of that 4 stroke. Second, it handles better.  Third, I have as much in my CR125, CR500AF and CR85 together, to buy only 1 CRF450. So which would you do? 
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Oh yes, I've been following your bike builds.  I was just keep wondering how you'd keep the front wheel on the ground...  Many people assume (incorrectly) that big bore are bikes are harder to ride.  True if you ride a big bore like a 125 wringing its neck...  you may be in a trip to the local emergency room...  big bore bikes I think are more forgiving of mistakes.  They can can be ridden a gear somtimes 2 higher.  There is so much torque on a big bore bike all it requires is a point and shoot. 

I love the fact you are able to buy a stoker roller and or a running bike, transplant a proper engine, sell off the excess and recoop your investment.  I wish I had the talent to to transfom the bikes like you...  but I do not.  So I just have to dream for a ride on the 150 /250 Tim The Toolman's CR250mini   8)
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
In the seat of a mini, the unsuspected rider, had better know the difference from throttle and brake. Cuz motor of a 250 is upon you, any wrong you do she's gonna feel. When you're in Texas look below you, cuz that's where the mini's gonna be. 

So when ever I'm done with this bike and you're in Texas let me know... 
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
eprovenzano: not sure if you got what I typed, but that was Walker Texas Ranger, rewrote. LOL.

Anyways, got the radiators back today from the welder.  I have to take the bottom hose up and over the motor, instead of infront of it.  So I had to cut off the tubes and have them rewelded back on at a angle upward.  Now, onto the final frame mounts and I will put up the final frame picks.  Almost there.
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
pffft I didnt want to read it anyway, stoopid KTM forum
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline rbigair40

• Junior
    • View Profile
The Ultimate Mini, The Fastest Pit Bike, or Tim The Toolman's CR250mini....
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 12:32:32 AM »
What's failing on the CRF150 motor?

400cc two strokes are the best,love my 380 Maico. ;D

The 550 KTM is a far better motor then the 440 version, the 440 actually lacks some bottom end while the 550 is both very smooth and very fast.I'd use the 550 motor for AF conversions over the Honda anyday (the right hand final drive would complicate things).The 550 doesn't have a counter balancer but vibration isn't a problem.
     They are about as bullet proof as a xr200 no problems, that i have seen ? i put a crank in a 2007 2 yrs ago that had been modded , with 3 race yrs on a engine with only piston changes  thats pretty good i would say .  But that 250 engine in that chassis would be good Dune material !!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Sapper

• Junior
    • View Profile
The Ultimate Mini, The Fastest Pit Bike, or Tim The Toolman''s CR250mini....
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »
im not 100% sure but didnt the guy stop this project due to some issues?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
If you want cheap & fast, it won't be good.
If you want cheap & good, it won't be fast.
If you want good & fast, it won't be CHEAP