Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: dungey's thoughts on 2 strokes  (Read 2507 times)

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
dungey's thoughts on 2 strokes
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Dungey-on-riding-a-two-stroke-for-Elsinore,1243727
read the thread, there are some valid points, and i understand why he wont, but damn wouldn't it be awesome to see

here's the audio as well
http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/Dungey-on-Racing-a-Two-Stroke,37053/Slideshow,0/GuyB,64

he could do it, wax the whole field, it's not the bikes, its the riders, the modern rider has no idea how to ride a 125/250 the way carmichael/reed/stewart/mcgrath used to
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
dungey''s thoughts on 2 strokes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:11:47 AM »
Damn straight he could do it. Not competitive. pfffft only cos hes been spending too long in a four joke saddle.

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
dungey''''s thoughts on 2 strokes
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:49:53 AM »
it is possible. it been soooooo long since its been done people forget how RC destroyed windham on his 60hp 450 in 03. then to top it off when magazine articles say a 250 vs 250f the riders put down average lap times and Tomac goes out and lays down the fastest time at Elsinore???? clearly this is an indication that 250f's 2502ts and 450's can all be ridden to the same speed. at almost every race the lap time between the 250 and 450 class is maybe a second or two. except when stewie raced at the openers.

back when is was 125s and 250s lap times were drastically different and there were many obastacles that a 125 couldnt do. i remember watching the 97 east west shootout where KDUB whooped RC and he singled a triple after stuffing the goat. SINGLED. not even doubled.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
dungey''''''''s thoughts on 2 strokes
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
it is possible. it been soooooo long since its been done people forget how RC destroyed windham on his 60hp 450 in 03. then to top it off when magazine articles say a 250 vs 250f the riders put down average lap times and Tomac goes out and lays down the fastest time at Elsinore???? clearly this is an indication that 250f's 2502ts and 450's can all be ridden to the same speed. at almost every race the lap time between the 250 and 450 class is maybe a second or two. except when stewie raced at the openers.

back when is was 125s and 250s lap times were drastically different and there were many obastacles that a 125 couldnt do. i remember watching the 97 east west shootout where KDUB whooped RC and he singled a triple after stuffing the goat. SINGLED. not even doubled.
Too right, they can't ride them at that pace anymore, I bet it's been along time since Dunge rode a real bike
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
dungey''''''''''''''''s thoughts on 2 strokes
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »
Let's face the facts here for a minute, a modern 450 WILL be faster than a 250 SX especcially when you consider that the 450 will be a full factory bike and the 250 SX will be almost completely standard. I'd have loved to of seen him ride the smoker but if he wants to win and not just accept a 4th or 5th then he NEEDS the 450.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
dungey''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s thoughts on 2 strokes
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »
MX isn't a drag race  ;)

I'm pretty sure we all saw this.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Let's face the facts here for a minute, a modern 450 WILL be faster than a 250 SX especcially when you consider that the 450 will be a full factory bike and the 250 SX will be almost completely standard. I'd have loved to of seen him ride the smoker but if he wants to win and not just accept a 4th or 5th then he NEEDS the 450.

Speed isn't everything. I've seen plenty of 125 riders put 450s to shame at my local level. Granted this is essentially irrelevant but I'm just pointing it out. If traction is good and theres good, railable corners and the rider can take full advantage of the two stroke riding style (ie. Flicking the bike around, taking an inside line much quicker) then it is entirely possible that dungey could own the podium.

Hell wasn't ricky's RM 250 putting out 60 ponies or something insane at one stage?

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
my point is dung went out on STOCK bikes. nothing hopped up on hp thats had hours of testing to become a factory race machine. which in that sense wouldnt convince me to go racing on one. especially if i havent touched one in years. however i still believe it could be done. if you look at 2004 Seb Tortelli podiumed on an RM250 and sean hamblin had multiple 4ths. think about it. hamblin was never a threat for wins much less a podium and tortelli was coming off of injury and was on the backside of his peak and they were podium threats.

2005 JS7 is a threat for WINS. not podiums positions but wins. RC did beat him but he wouldve won on an 85. and JS did what he still does goin blazin fast or goin down in a blaze of glory.

the finish positions of the factory riders from 02-06 didnt change. RC won podium was fought over by reed wind stewart, and the rest were byrne villumen fonseca etc. and it only changed based on how good the start went or if one went down.

heres a quick note. if i was on a two stroke last year even at my novice pace id of beat dung at freestone last year. why?? cuz my fuel would never boil haha.  :P