Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Project Two 50 Updates...  (Read 8814 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: Project Two 50 Updates...
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »
Suspension from wooden wagons?  Funny, I never noticed the 490 ran on leaf-springs.  I was under the impression that it had 12" of travel and shocks made by the same Italians who worked the Ferraris back then.  Does it have better suspension than a new bike?  No, of course not, especially considering that it was designed to take rough tracks, and not jumpy tracks.  I still maintain that today's bikes would have serious trouble on a 1981 track, just as a brand new Le Mans car would get its ass kicked by a 1970s Porsche 917 if they ran the old circuit.  They don't do no 240mph anymore.

But anyway, the reason people bring up the 490 all the time is the simple fact that it was a world-shaker.  Everyone thought that 400-450cc was all that anyone could ever use in the 500cc class.  When Yamaha brought out the 465 and slightly up-staged the 440 Maico, the response was typically German.  They took that bad boy in to the shop, bored it out a little, made the frame look less like a banana, and hit the races like a nuclear weapon.  You have to realize, this thing was SO popular, that it out-sold every all the Big-Four's dirt-bikes combined.  And then, as if that weren't enough, they gave it another 6 ponies the next year, all the while maintaining the best handling in the bidness.  It is a legend, and became the yardstick by which all bikes since are measured.

That, simply, is why people keep wanting to measure new bikes by the 490 yardstick.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SubTexel

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 04:37:57 PM »
Suspension from wooden wagons?  Funny, I never noticed the 490 ran on leaf-springs.  I was under the impression that it had 12" of travel and shocks made by the same Italians who worked the Ferraris back then.  Does it have better suspension than a new bike?  No, of course not, especially considering that it was designed to take rough tracks, and not jumpy tracks.  I still maintain that today's bikes would have serious trouble on a 1981 track, just as a brand new Le Mans car would get its ass kicked by a 1970s Porsche 917 if they ran the old circuit.  They don't do no 240mph anymore.

But anyway, the reason people bring up the 490 all the time is the simple fact that it was a world-shaker.  Everyone thought that 400-450cc was all that anyone could ever use in the 500cc class.  When Yamaha brought out the 465 and slightly up-staged the 440 Maico, the response was typically German.  They took that bad boy in to the shop, bored it out a little, made the frame look less like a banana, and hit the races like a nuclear weapon.  You have to realize, this thing was SO popular, that it out-sold every all the Big-Four's dirt-bikes combined.  And then, as if that weren't enough, they gave it another 6 ponies the next year, all the while maintaining the best handling in the bidness.  It is a legend, and became the yardstick by which all bikes since are measured.

That, simply, is why people keep wanting to measure new bikes by the 490 yardstick.

Yes, compared to modern suspensions. (Take analogies a bit too literal much?).

Who does this measuring? I have yet to see any serious (read: any) review look back to the 490 as a yardstick in which all bikes must measure up to in some aspect. It might have been something to compare to back in the early 80s, but that time has come and gone. Also, I honestly doubt moden bikes would have much to worry about against the older bikes (on newer or older style MX tracks). If that were the case vintage bikes would dominate the local scenes, or even the open classes (of which only the CR500 really carries the "vintage" motor into any victories...). The CR500s (mostly AFs) dominate the open classes here, don't see much of the 490 at all except in the vintage races and even then they don't mop up the competition.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:40:00 PM by SubTexel »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 05:11:44 PM »
The reason a vintage bike like a 490 doesn't dominate the local scene is multi-layered.  First, you're not allowed to compete with it, because the 500cc class is mostly gone, and old 250s are at a genuine disadvantage on new tracks.  But when you do get into 500cc competition, you say it's dominated by new AF bikes, and the reason for that is very similar to the reason that some riders still choose a 250F when they could have a 250 2T in the same class.  The AF bikes are new, flashy, and covered with pointy plastic bits.  Let's say, hypothetically, you show up with an old bike that's identical in performance to new bikes (and I must stress this is a hypothetical).  You still have a disincentive to do this, because you'll be so far outside of the crowd.  It'd be like showing up with an off-brand bike.  "What the hell's wrong with this idiot?"  The CR500AF conforms to the crowd with all the trendy things that don't mean much, such as bold new graphics, aluminum frame, upside-down forks, and the all-important bold new graphics.  The biggest advantage it has are the disc brakes, and it's been shown on TSM that there's nothing keeping a man from putting those on his 490.  Water cooling can be had if you're willing to get an '84 M-Star, and monoshock is available from '82 onward.  And I'm still curious to know precisely HOW the Maico suspension is inferior, besides the classic new = better assumption.  I'm perfectly open to someone with in-depth suspension knowledge showing that true progress has been made, but it has to be backed up.  And in terms of the motor, I haven't heard anybody who's ridden both bikes and thought a CR500 had a better motor.  When a magazine compared the brand new (at the time) '91 CR500 to the '81 Maico, they flat-out said the Maico had more usable power.

Of course, even the best bike in the world doesn't guarantee victory; it takes a good rider.  Here in the northwest, there are tons of 490s that compete in evolution, and few of them make a spectacular showing.  Few of them ever have proper, "elbows-up" riders, either.  The one guy who did know what he was doing, though, wiped everyone out.  No one touched his lap time.

Sorry, John, for taking this so far off-topic.  But I'm having fun!

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »

MAICO - RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

I've ridden newer bikes, some of the suspenion is rather awkard really, kinda like riding on stilts.  They make the bikes completely flat on top like a table, feels like you're going to go over the handle bars, then going over bumps it's like you are all over the place.  Maybe not all bikes are like that but some are.

And all the new bikes, aside from the new Maico, look like utter shit.  I'd never own one just because they don't have any kind of feel to them (with exception to the new Maico).  I don't even find them flashy, I find them quite dull and the same.  They all look like they were cloned out of the same mold and are ugly as hell.  They have to put tons of stickers on them to make them look good at all.  And sorry but AF frames look like utter crap to me, I hate that ugly ass piece of frame on the side. 

Looking back at the older bikes, those bikes looked AWESOME.  I mean the old huskies? The old Maicos?  The old Hondas? The 80s Hondas were actually some of the best looking bikes!  Then in the 90s, they said skrew it, here's some crappy ass looking machinery.  They all lost character. 

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 07:13:35 PM »

C'mon guys we are all friends here !!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D      ;D     ;D
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »
Hey thanks a lot john and il try to check out the projects website and see if you guys have any shirts or something i can wear to southwick to support you guys.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 07:26:08 PM »
Holy balls, there's a strong response for you. :)

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:32 PM »
John we need more videos like that!! :P
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »
Wow.. yet another thread turned into an old time Maico thread.... Sheesh!! Don't get me wrong, I love Maico's but what does comparing an old Maico have to do with Project Two 50??

If you want to ride an old bike, more power to you!! There are tons of resources and race series devoted to such things...

In the mean time, Project Two 50 continues it's march forward!!

Boyesen and Twin Air have signed on to help out!! Whoo Hooo!!!

We'll have shirts and stuff available soon... we're just gathering up all of our sponsors, so that we can add there logos to the shirts and stuff!!

We're working on a title sponsor for our team as we speak...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 09:06:50 PM »
Man, with FMF and Boyesen, this is turning into a really powerful two-stroke movement.  Those are some of THE big names in all of two-strokedom.  Sorry about all the Maico stuff, I guess a passing comment kinda spiralled out of control.  May there be no mistake, I'm very bullish about the prospects of the project!

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 04:55:25 PM »
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 06:02:40 PM »
Welcome aboard TxTech!You just entered the best site in the bus.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 06:48:23 PM »

Welcome to the forum!!

Make sure you come by our rig and introduce yourself. Stop by and shoot the two-stroke stories.. We'll do our best to make sure that everyone can find us.

Of course as soon as we start our machine, everyone will know! 8) 8)
Life is short.

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes and the invitation to come by the rig, we'll do. :D
Is there an official T-shirt with race dates, twostrokemotocross.com, our racer's number, with sponsers
on the front or back, baarrppppp?  We will also need a bumper sticker too.
Will you have any of these shirts for sale on-line or at the rig?
I saw the preliminary design for the rig on the website and it looks great, will the rig have a giant flag to be spotted by from a distance?

Anybody else here from the Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas area going to Wortham?  Maybe we could car pool or meet up and convoy/journey to the race together?
It was hot as he11 last year so bring your water & ice chests and shade tents and lawn chairs, ball caps & sunscreen.  There were specific times to get into the pit area by purchase of pit pass. I took lots of pictures last year and now I have a better reason to take pictures, baaarrpppppp   baarrrppppppp
Anybody wanting to go send me an email shout out, I can also give some other information on what we encountered last year if anyone is interested. As you can tell I am excited to see this movement, all my 4-slow riding buddies give me such a hard time over my little 2t, except when I blow by them.  Then later the excuses flow. :D
You guys probably know all this information, just thought I would throw it out for thought.
Todd
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:33:44 PM by TxTechRedRider »
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 05:17:53 PM »
TxTechRedRider - we are working on many details as we speak. You can not believe how much goes into something like this!!

We are still working on securing sponsors as we speak. It's really difficult to create swag without those folks in place.

Thank you for the compliments... they are greatly appreciated!
Life is short.