Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2 stroke wins again..  (Read 2703 times)

Offline coblefutch

• Junior
    • View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
Rory Mead won his 2nd GNCC of the year in the XC1 class (450) riding a ktm 300 2 stroke.
Proir to this year it had been about 4 or 5 since a 2 stroke had won a gncc xc1 race, now this year it has happened twice...
Wonder what might happen if 300s were allowed to race 450s in pro motocross and KTM put a top guy on one???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
I can tell you exactly what would happen: AMA or Fonda would buy them off within 20 minutes of the decision being made :P
But in the unlikely event they made it to a pro race, it would mean the utter destruction of all four strokes. With the correct application of practise of course. But seriously, if the two stroke was invented now, it would mop the track up with the four jokes. I've raced my mate on his 250F. I would hardly call it a race though, he got decimated. He was gutted it was pretty funny :P Fair displacement rules is gonna equal a rise of two strokes again. Which I understand to be already on the move. Moneys tight for alot of people at the moment and some give up their expensive foopers for a screamer. And alot of them just think to themselves: What on earth would I want to go back for? As they desperately try to wipe the grin of a child thats been caught stealing the easter eggs off their face.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:17:14 AM »
Wonder what might happen if 300s were allowed to race 450s in pro motocross and KTM put a top guy on one???

A 450 would win.
300's in the bush have an advantage over 450's because of the lighter weight,lack of engine braking,no flame outs etc.
Different story in MX.
Altough a 300 would be close.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:59:18 AM »

A 450 would win.
300's in the bush have an advantage over 450's because of the lighter weight,lack of engine braking,no flame outs etc.
Different story in MX.
Altough a 300 would be close.

Is your TM a 300MX or the 250? Just curios. I reckon a well designed 300 cc two stroke motocrosser would have a pretty decent chance against the 4 foopties. Especially on tight, good traction tracks where they can exploit their snappy power and lightweight to the fullest. But oh wait... Thats right all the tracks have been redesigned to accommodate the fours. Still, on a non biased track with the right rider I reckon the two stroke stands a pretty good chance

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:12:08 AM »
Mine is a 300.
The thing is 450's these days are just so damn fast.
I have no problems keeping up with 450's on a flat track or in a drag race the 300 will pull most 450's. Just.
Fourth gear hill climbs at WOT there is nothing to choose between the 2.
But on a MX track the 450's have a wider spread of power that is hard to beat.
A 300 will be competitive but it would be bloody hard to win.
Yes you could win if you were a better rider then the others but you would still win on the 450.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »
Mine is a 300.
The thing is 450's these days are just so damn fast.
I have no problems keeping up with 450's on a flat track or in a drag race the 300 will pull most 450's. Just.
Fourth gear hill climbs at WOT there is nothing to choose between the 2.
But on a MX track the 450's have a wider spread of power that is hard to beat.
A 300 will be competitive but it would be bloody hard to win.
Yes you could win if you were a better rider then the others but you would still win on the 450.

Yeah thats the trouble. The fast part. If it was just a power thing it might be a little bit easier. But the thing is not only do they have an extra couple of ponies but it gets to the ground alot more effectively. Its the same deal in the 125 class; yeah you could win on a 125, but the only way its gonna happen is through pure skill. Which as it happens you'll need ALOT of to overcome the what, 6-9 horsepower disadvantage? Something like that. If the tracks held no bias and we raced cc v. cc, that would be much better. But with the bowl turns, off cambers, long straights (by mx standards) and big obstacles, two strokes simply get left behind so often. Unless you're like me, in that you can't ride a fooper fast. At all.

Offline coblefutch

• Junior
    • View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »
I hear what you are saying about so damn fast. I have been watching some 2003- 2004 races on you tube then switch over to some current races and you will be able to notice the foopers are moving much faster. That or the AMA is playing camera tricks and speeding the action up.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 01:11:49 AM »
Fingers crossed they don't stoop that low to make the foopers look good. I think in the early days of the four stonks the tracks were against them and designed for two strokes. 180 turns, squaring your corners, big ass whoops all that awesomeness that made supercross worth watching :D Now that the tracks have been dumbed down though its made it alot easier for the riders to go fast I think

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 01:31:46 AM »
I hear what you are saying about so damn fast. I have been watching some 2003- 2004 races on you tube then switch over to some current races and you will be able to notice the foopers are moving much faster. That or the AMA is playing camera tricks and speeding the action up.
They are going faster now! Tracks today allow them to, lmfao. This is no longer motocross its flat tracking. Whats next? tracks made of asphalt? The MXA 250 vs 250 article says it all. The 250f is only competitive on flat stable ground and when ever it got rough it goes into crap biscuit mode. They even made the comment of saying it had road racing qualities...

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 02:56:10 AM »

No they aren't speeding up the footage, but they are taking all the sharp edges off everything on the tracks and making them MUCH Dumber, More Gently Inclined, and Softer...

4 Strokes are so boring as they go around the track that interest in motocross and supercross in general has been fading. That's what happens when a change to inferior technology is written into a sport's pro contracts (Every Single One Of Them Starting From January 2006), and the series is desperate to try anything to spice up the flow of the action a little... The latest tactic is to Dumb the terrain down enough so that even lumpy, dumpy Foopers can appear to go fast. In the past, before the tracks were brought down in amplitude to help buttress the failing Fooper, they looked completely rediculous as they flopped and farted around... floundering even though they had their huge handicap in place through the Gay-M-A... and related inhbitants of Brokeback Mountain like  Mowercross's MXSpharts and Foopercross's Fold Motorpharts.

Problem is, any terrain that a Dumpster can traverse, a 2 stroke racebike can cut through like butter. If the two bike types were on the track at the same time, the 250 2 strokes would make a joke out of the 4 Foopties just like they always did before every single paying contract handed out to pro racers was writen to demand that they ride Fart Bikes.

It's just another case of Turds rolled in glitter.

I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2 stroke wins again..
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 03:16:30 AM »
Agreed, the massive effort to make the foopers look good is EVERYWHERE! From advertisements, to movies to the race commentary, its all designed to subtlety imprint into the viewers minds that the foopers are winners. The movie supercross (horrible) for example: Both the winning rider and the winning rider's rival rode 4foopties. At least his bro was true to two strokes though....