Author Topic: 2014 Maico's  (Read 13030 times)

Offline gpnewhouse7

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Maico's
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »
There in lays the problem, $16000 for a bike with 1990's technology...the company will never grow.

Define 1990s technology.

I don't see much difference between the 1990 YZ I have in my garage now and the 2008 KTM I had in a few months prior.

Only minor tuning to the engine and suspension has occurred over the last 20 years.

Tell me one thing that modern bikes now have as opposed to the bikes of the 90`s.

BTW I'm not saying my 1990 is as good as a 2013 but just that tech wise there is no difference.
If the corner doesn't scare you, you're going too slow.

Offline shanes

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »
There in lays the problem, $16000 for a bike with 1990's technology...the company will never grow.

Define 1990s technology.

I don't see much difference between the 1990 YZ I have in my garage now and the 2008 KTM I had in a few months prior.

Only minor tuning to the engine and suspension has occurred over the last 20 years.

Tell me one thing that modern bikes now have as opposed to the bikes of the 90`s.

BTW I'm not saying my 1990 is as good as a 2013 but just that tech wise there is no difference.

Harley been flogging 1950 tech as 2013 , they seam to do ok well the morons that buy them think so  ;D ;D :P :P
work to live , dont live to work

Offline gpnewhouse7

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 06:16:47 PM »

Define 1990s technology.

Harley been flogging 1950 tech as 2013 , they seam to do ok well the morons that buy them think so  ;D ;D :P :P
Ha yeah. In fact Honda are doing a similar thing with those derestricted xr400s they sell.

Offline evo550

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »

Plastic composite subframes.
Alloy frames.
Fuel injection.
Electric start.
Hydrolic clutches.
Adjustable powervalves.
Computer tunable.
MASSIVE jumps in suspension tech.
Current styling.

What has Maico done since 1998, besides an alloy tank and different swingarm?
It still has 1996 YZ plastics.
I come from an era when Maico was the choice of the privateer, and have owned and raced a '81 250 and 83 and 84 500's, so I have a soft spot for the old Maico's, but what has happened since has tainted the once great name.
Lets compare the two old school manufacturers who are making a comeback in the small two stroke market
Maico and Ossa.
Ossa have a bike that looks **** hot(half the sales battle is won), has a number of new and innovative designs, a engine capicity that is in right now and has the worldwide press buzzing.
Maico has a rehashed 1998 model, looks to match, no innovation, a price thats off the planet, two out of three capacities that no one would seriously race or be allowed to, with a release only to a small online two stroke website.
Good luck to 'em, they're going to need it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:14:20 PM by evo550 »

Offline Charles Owens

• Administrator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 11:10:30 PM »
I can assure they are not going to be $16k... And nobody has seen the new models, so how and why judge?
If you don't like them when they are released, you don't have to buy one.
We should be happy there is another 2T option coming back around.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • 2012 Hound Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »
I can assure they are not going to be $16k... And nobody has seen the new models, so how and why judge?

Agreed,but the skepticism is understandable.

Offline gpnewhouse7

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 11:33:15 PM »

Do you have any idea if they are likely to release a 125? If they are then I might break this yz project for parts and save for one of them but if theyr not then I might aswell start ordering parts for the yz.

Offline nom de guerre

• Professional
  • Vive La Legion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 11:43:48 PM »
please point me to the 16k price, where is it listed?

I have had extensive contact with Vincent as well, very trustworthy fellow... he has been mum on all these bikes and has yet to comment on the 125. Price point will have to be comparable to what is out there already or whatever gets made will sit and he knows that... the bikes in the pics are older bikes with the AL tank/CRF shrouds and updated swingarm... the old swingarm is super heavy. The new bikes should be a lot different.

The wait has been long with lots of mockery, kind of funny from people that don't buy new two strokes anyway and ride old models... I am looking forward to these bikes.
Legio Patria Nostra

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »
We have to differentiate between marketing tangents and actual progress.

Composite subframes and AL main frames? No thanks I'll stick to Cr Moly.

Who has DI?

Electric start? Brilliant marketing ploy - does a 2T actually need the magic button?

Maico's have hydraulic clutches, one of the first.

Adjustable powervalves? My Maicos are fine the way they are.

Computer tunable? Bolt on when DI arrives.

Suspension? Bolt on what you want.

Current styling? True.

Why hasn't anyone sunk millions into Maico? Because business men are out to make money, not lose money. The offroad motorcycle industry is a mature industry with significant barriers to entry and paper thin profits. Add in changing demographics (aging baby boomers/ youth without opportunities),environmental concerns,urban sprawl, world economy that is dead and you'd have to be crazy to enter this market. Classic business 101. As Germany's largest KTM dealer I think Koestler sees the writing on the wall. If MI sees a niche where they can make a buck, all the power to them.

Why did Ossa team up with Gas Gas?
Why did BMW sell Husqvarna?
Why is KTM "stealing" market share as opposed to reacting to increased demand?
No money.

I've ridden (and sold) everything under the sun and when I'm not dealing with powersports I make a buck designing, building and maintaining machinery (maybe a little real estate thrown in on the side). If I were to design a 21st century offroad 2T where would I start? I'd take a long hard look at the 1983 Maico MC250. The bike has perfect balance. ;D 

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • 2012 Hound Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 05:52:01 AM »

I have had extensive contact with Vincent as well, very trustworthy fellow... he has been mum on all these bikes and has yet to comment on the 125.

The wait has been long with lots of mockery, kind of funny from people that don't buy new two strokes anyway and ride old models... I am looking forward to these bikes.

That may be true for some,but definitely not for many others.
Speaking for myself,I always had a thing for having something different than everyone else.I had one of the first KTM's in these parts as well as the first Husaberg.For many years,I had a new bike every year or two,sometimes less.7 mths was my shortest between new rides,and that was trading my new RM for a New KTM as they'd just arrived in NS.
Many on here are either young guys starting out on an old 2t,or old guys who have been around and have just settled on what they like.
The thing about being an old guy is that,though you may not be rolling in it,most are now reasonably financially secure and ,I would think,the target market for a brand like MI.
Right now there are brand new YZ125 and YZ250's sitting on my dealers floor for $6200 and $6700.When I bought my Berg a few years back (I bought some performance goodies,protection and gear with it) I walked out of my dealer with may wallet over $12000 lighter.
Don't make the mistake of thinking that because you ride an older machine currently,that you wouldn't snap up something new if it tickled your fancy or just to be different.Maico is just strange enough and the fact nobody has one here would be reason enough for me.
When they first started posting about them it looked promising and tbh,I wasn't far from yanking out the wallet when they got Canadian distribution.
I know we're just a bunch of idiots on a bike site and don't mean anything in the overall scheme of things to a big company,but I'd be willing to bet they've lost a good number of future sales due to the way the situation's been handled.
Speaking for myself,I don't do business that way,nor would I trust someone in the future who does it that way.
Enough said, I wish them best.In the meantime,I don't get to ride as much as I used to so the old YZ suits me fine for now-until something really interesting comes along.I wonder when the first DI will hit.Hmmmmmm.

Btw,current young guys riding old two strokes are future older guys with cash to spend on new twostrokes.Just a thought.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:03:32 AM by ford832 »

Offline nom de guerre

• Professional
  • Vive La Legion
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2013, 07:04:56 AM »
^^^ good stuff Ford.... valid views/opinions.
Legio Patria Nostra

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • 2012 Hound Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 07:21:15 AM »
Hmmm,that's unlike me,I won't let it happen again. ;) ;D

Offline metal_miracle

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2013, 08:15:51 AM »
I was so ready to pull the trigger on a maico, since then i was under the impression that they where gone release that year..

But because of the silence i got myself a ktm 250 and a cr 500 af instead.

Had they said something maybe me or others would have waited... i still hope they succeed

Offline evo550

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2013, 08:37:01 AM »
The $16k price is listed in Australian Dirt bike mag 2013 buyers guide, they list a 320, 500 and 700cc mxer's.
Sachs, all the changes I listed where related to all mxer's 2 and 4 t, just remember maico will be competing against all engine types, not just two strokes for sales.
It's very one eyed to guage market demand/response on a two stroke online forum, why not invite the world press to the release? We live in a consumer driven society where glossy magazine pictures and whizz bang gizmo's sell bikes, good or bad.
People on this forum aren't seeing the big picture and don't consider the market share 4t's still have.
As for your design on a 21st century 2t dirt bike, your on the money, a budget entry level bike is the way to go Atk 250/406 style bike would be my choice. ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:39:29 AM by evo550 »

Offline nom de guerre

• Professional
  • Vive La Legion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2013, 09:03:50 AM »
Thanks Evo... I guess that sounds about right for Oz, they take a beating on bikes. I would never buy one for that price(Kostler/MI or anything else for that matter), that is insane. They are around 10k USD from Kostler right now. I concur with your ATK budget bike idea....

MI has a long road ahead for any kind of sales numbers, lots of comp out there. Hopefully word will get out and momentum will build, but any negative press on other venues will hurt an already damaged rep I think. So, a favourable press release will help initially of course. Then maybe momentum can build perhaps... more than one outlet is a must for any numbers other than boutique level.
Legio Patria Nostra