The guys at Wiseco Performance Products picked up a used 2006 Kawasaki KX 250 to illustrate the cost favorability of a late-model 2-stroke for track and trail riding, as well as ease of ownership.
They went through the Wiseco catalogs and pulled parts for the project, including their Racers Choice Piston Kit, Forged Aluminum Clutch Basket, Plates, Springs and finished it off with a top end gasket kit.
While the bike was apart they splurged and had the frame dusted and baked with some fresh silver powder coat.
Below is a list of parts included in the build. This was not intended to be a ‘budget’ build, but for the cost involved it very well could be. Even including the ‘extras’ (powder coat, wheels, etc.) the build price was just over $2,800. Below is a parts list used for the project, as well as suggested retail prices.
- Wiseco 844M06640 Racers Choice piston kit $182.00
- Wiseco W6324 Top end gasket kit $45.94
- Wiseco WPP3048 Forged aluminum clutch basket $239.20
- Wiseco CPK033 Clutch pack kit (friction, driven plates, and springs) $181.41
- ProX front fork seal kit 40.S485810 $48.29
- ProX linkage bearing kit 26.110117 $88.76
- ProX swingarm bearing kit 26.210044 $68.56
- ProX front brake pads 37.103202 $24.50
- ProX rear brake pads 37.207102 $24.50
- ProX front sprocket 07.FS23099-13 $16.95
- ProX chain rollers 26.450022 $17.25
- Magnum Racing chain $89.95
- Magnum Racing rear sprocket $49.95
- Powdercoat frame $150.00
- Prowheel black rims and stainless steel spokes $799.00
- Dunlop MX31 tires $225.00
- UFO Plastic $196.00
- Decal Works T9 complete kit with number plates $270.00
- Renthal 7/8” bars and grips $90.00
This is a beautiful machine, built to spec, for much less than the cost of a new bike. What do you think?
Check out the entire build gallery: